Monday, November 18, 2013

The Right to Choose

In Tommy Gilbert's article "The 28th Amendment: Freedom of Marriage," he argues the right of an American to choose who they wish to marry. His argument is compelling, well stated and the evidence is well supported. It is true that same-sex marriage has been a controversy for quite some time now and a resolution needs to be made. My take on this issue is fairly in the middle. I don't necessarily agree with it but I don't 100% oppose it either.

Before reading this article, I was more leaning against same-sex marriage, for the mere fact that I think a man should be with a woman not a man. I was raised in a Catholic environment and supporting same-sex marriage is out of the question. In today's wide variety of religions, accepting same-sex marriage seems just impossible. I am a very religious person myself and have been exposed to different perspectives and have come to my own conclusions. I believe people are not born homosexual and it's just something a person picks up. I would obviously not know this because I don't face this issue but that is just my opinion.


In no means I am saying that same-sex couples don't deserve the same right as I have. We are only human and no one is perfect. I see that if I can marry who I wish so should everyone else. My faith has nothing to do with how I treat and feel about others and whether someone wants to marry the same-sex or of a different cultural background everyone is deserving of their own happiness. "I’m merely asking for the same respect we give those of different religious affiliation to be applied to marriage so that maybe—one day—those of us who aren’t allowed to realize our dream of being a happily married couple just might be able to." This is very true, if I as a Catholic can practice my faith why shouldn't someone who wishes to marry the same sex not be allowed too. Like I said before, this issue is delicate and hard to really criticize or support. In my perspective I don't see my happiness being affected by this issue and see nothing wrong, but with time my opinion might change.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think if someone is gay, it is possibly a combination of some genetic predisposition plus some experiences in life that may lead to that orientation. On that note, regardless of how orientation comes about, I think gay marriage is an oxymoron. Gay people have a FAR higher incidence of separation. Yes, today half of all marriages end in divorce within the first 20 years, but at least there is a strong intention of commitment from the start. Gays normally don't have commitment, and relationships last for a short time. The whole purpose of marriage is to solemnize a relationship that ultimately leads to family. A kid growing up should have the best chance possible to have both a mother and father. Gay marriage gives the children who are raised into such an environment a major disadvantage, and not something that society needs to encourage. But unfortunately we live in an age of political correctness where we ignore logic the the greater good of society for the sake of unlimited personal liberty. Interesting times we live in.